There are a number of benefits (taken from UK BusinessLink website)
* improved retention of employees, eg home working can help retain working parents with childcare responsibilities
* a wider pool of applicants from which to recruit, eg disabled people who may prefer to work from home
* possible productivity gains through staff having fewer interruptions and less commuting time
* increased staff motivation with reduced stress and sickness levels
* savings on office space and other facilities
* possible location of sales staff near clients rather than being based in your premises
At the same time it is scary for a business owner to think his employees are in their pijamas playing the Wii instead of hard at work in the office! Obviously there are loads of great tools that can help to make everything easier. Here are some of the best:
- Dropbox - online hard drive where everyone can share data
- Google Docs - Online Office documents
- Skype - Now with multiple video conferencing
- GotoMeeting - online conferencing
- GotoMyPC - remote PC access
Also read: Why its Ok to let my staff work from home.
Please post your comments below.